Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why would I get the enclosed warning when I have given myself permission to read and write?

I have a file here. The app sends a message I can't do anything to the file because I don't have permission.

Then when I try Plan B of giving everyone permission, the OS warns me this action is undoable. Why is that? Couldn't I just go back change the permission back to the way they were before?

I have given myself permission to read and write. I have been looking through sort of similar questions and there some suggestions to "go to the drive". Don't quite understand what that means, but it sounds like I have to bypass this irritating warning and go somewhere deeper within the Mac OS. How and why?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 1:13 PM

Transparency, Consent, & Control (TCC) is what is responsible for controlling app access to other data including the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders.

tccutil is a command line utility to reset some or all of the control permissions.

tccutil reset All 

will reset all control and all apps would need to ask permission again. That might allow you to allow Bantivity to ask again. Maybe not.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 1:13 PM in response to lopezcalling

Transparency, Consent, & Control (TCC) is what is responsible for controlling app access to other data including the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders.

tccutil is a command line utility to reset some or all of the control permissions.

tccutil reset All 

will reset all control and all apps would need to ask permission again. That might allow you to allow Bantivity to ask again. Maybe not.

Sep 17, 2023 11:56 AM in response to lopezcalling

lopezcalling wrote:

I have a file here. The app sends a message I can't do anything to the file because I don't have permission.

Then when I try Plan B of giving everyone permission, the OS warns me this action is undoable. Why is that? Couldn't I just go back change the permission back to the way they were before?
I have given myself permission to read and write. I have been looking through sort of similar questions and there some suggestions to "go to the drive". Don't quite understand what that means, but it sounds like I have to bypass this irritating warning and go somewhere deeper within the Mac OS. How and why?

"Plan B"...(?)

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

You really do not give any information to go on...

What app?

what are you trying to accomplish?

Is it added to the Full DIsk Access (if necessary)

Controlling app access to files in macOS

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.5.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Sep 17, 2023 12:25 PM in response to lopezcalling

Yes, with a lot of work. It doesn’t state you can’t change them later to get them back to what they were, it says you cannot undo what you did with the undo command. It’s not “undoable” which is not equivalent to “cannot be undone.” Since you have selected the enclosing folder (Documents?) to propagate permissions, it will propagate the “group everyone:deny delete” ACL to all files and folders. The children of Documents should not have that ACL.

Changing permissions most likely won’t fix the problem as I don’t think it is a POSIX or ACL issue. It looks like TCC isn’t processing that it has been approved. I’m not sure what to reset, maybe All.

Why would I get the enclosed warning when I have given myself permission to read and write?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.