Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

retaining original photo files capabilities when moving them from one library to a new library.

When I move files from one library (iPhoto) to Photos I lose the capability to utilize (i.e.; export) the pictures. The app asks for the location of the original photo. I don't want to keep them in the cloud. I understand that pictures need to be backed up for securing them, but I don't get why, when in iPhoto Library I can export them without calling a backup.

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 1:18 PM

Thanks. Can you confirm that the box 'Copy items' is ticked. If not, then the library just references the photo wherever it is stored (eg desktop) and so if you delete the photos on, say, the desktop, then Photos library is obviously no longer able to access the photo.

6 replies

Dec 21, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Russ New Boy

I downloaded the raw files in iPhotos as originals to a folder on my desktop. Then downloaded the jpg files in iPhotos to the desktop. I then closed the Photos app. and did an option open and chose the Photos library. Then I uploaded the files from the desktop to the Photos library in the Photos app. My goal is to get rid of the iPhoto library, that is in the Photos app, to create more space. All pictures did upload. I even did some editing on the raw photos because they were back in their original state as I expected. That worked. Next I went back to the iPhotos library and deleted the files that I had moved. When I tried to export any of imported pictures I got a message saying can't find the originals. The only way I was able to recover my files was to go into the recently deleted folder in the iPhotos library. I just want to be able to export these files from the Photos library, without a search for original files. I have backed the material in an external drive, but that is not the point.

Dec 21, 2020 2:37 PM in response to Russ New Boy

It was not checked. To be fair a day or two ago someone suggested the same thing. I did not do it then because the item said something about the cloud. I wondered whether that meant all the photos that I upload with that checked might have to reside in the cloud as a back up. I didn't want that to be the case. I thought that I questioned that, but did not get an answer. The bottom line is that I went Photos preferences, checked checked the box. Then imported one raw file and one jpeg over to Photos. I tested to see if I could exported. It worked! Problem solved!

retaining original photo files capabilities when moving them from one library to a new library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.