Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make Siri read texts when iPhone 12 is locked

How do you make Siri read texts when your iPhone is locked. She is asking me to unlock the phone first but I don’t want to pick the phone up while driving or at any other time when wanting texts read to me especially during food prep.

iPhone

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 8:50 AM

According to the iPhone User Guide, iPhone User Guide - Apple Support it seems that Siri can only read Messages when locked if you are using AirPods.

If you connect your AirPods (AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and AirPods 2nd generation) to your iPhone and a message arrives, Siri can read the message to you, even if your iPhone is locked. Siri listens after reading messages so you can reply without saying “Hey Siri.” See Use Siri with AirPods on iPhone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Debl58

According to the iPhone User Guide, iPhone User Guide - Apple Support it seems that Siri can only read Messages when locked if you are using AirPods.

If you connect your AirPods (AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and AirPods 2nd generation) to your iPhone and a message arrives, Siri can read the message to you, even if your iPhone is locked. Siri listens after reading messages so you can reply without saying “Hey Siri.” See Use Siri with AirPods on iPhone.

Feb 23, 2021 8:20 AM in response to I hate my mac

This site is hosted by Apple and provides a forum for users to assist users. Nothing fraudulent. If you had read the Terms of Use that you had to agree to in order to post here, you would have found all of that out then. If you wish to speak with Apple, then you need to use the Contact Support link at the top of the page here, or use their feedback link, Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Feb 18, 2021 7:32 PM in response to I hate my mac

Call it what you like, but that is how it works. If you are more interested in Android and those devices meet your needs better than the iPhone, then by all means get one. No one here is going to insist that you buy Apple, or remain with Apple. We are users here, Apple does not participate here. Any of us will recommend that you use the device that best meets your needs. None of us are any better off if you stay with Apple, and it does not affect us if you don't.

Feb 19, 2021 7:23 AM in response to I hate my mac

I already have AirPods but she won’t read texts through those until the phone is unlocked either. When I get out to my car at night and start driving home I just want her to read all the days texts to me. She says I have to unlock my phone first but since there is no home button to read my fingerprint anymore, stupidly, I have to hold the phone up to my face while driving and even turn on the interior light just to get her to read my #%<€ texts.

Feb 19, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Nateroo

Face ID is one of the reasons I will probably leave apple when I have to upgrade to a phone without touch. While the other companies are making their phone more accessible and safer to use with today’s driving laws Apple is making their phone more useless and cumbersome. And Siri asking for your phone to be unlocked unless you have the correct AirPods shows Apple’s greed is more important than customer satisfaction.

make Siri read texts when iPhone 12 is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.