Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access passwords for "sign in with apple" accounts?

I've used "sign in with apple" to log into several 3rd party services. My understanding is that apple creates a strong password and a private relay e-mail address and remembers both for me... which is great.

The problem is that some of these services require actually typing in your password occasionally. So my question is: how can I see the actual underlying passwords stored for these accounts? I couldn't find them in Keychain...

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 6:31 AM

Thank you. That makes sense... but I'm still stuck on how to move forward, given that the 3P service requires a password occasionally.

It appears that there is an option -- within Apple's settings -- to "stop using Apple ID". (To find this option, I went to system preferences on my mac, chose Apple ID, then "Passwords and security" then "Apps using Apple ID", then the name of the 3rd party service.) Can anyone explain what happens if I click this?

For example:

1. Does the @privaterelay.apple.com virtual e-mail address stop working (meaning I now have no way to receive e-mail (like password reset messages) from the 3P service, or does it continue working for a while?
  2. Am I prompted to create a "real" username and password right away?
  3. Does the 3P service automatically get my "real" apple ID email address?
  4. Is what happens next entirely up to the 3P service (which doesn't give me confidence as they are asking for a password despite this being a token-based authentication system)?

How does this work?

Thanks!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 6:31 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you. That makes sense... but I'm still stuck on how to move forward, given that the 3P service requires a password occasionally.

It appears that there is an option -- within Apple's settings -- to "stop using Apple ID". (To find this option, I went to system preferences on my mac, chose Apple ID, then "Passwords and security" then "Apps using Apple ID", then the name of the 3rd party service.) Can anyone explain what happens if I click this?

For example:

1. Does the @privaterelay.apple.com virtual e-mail address stop working (meaning I now have no way to receive e-mail (like password reset messages) from the 3P service, or does it continue working for a while?
  2. Am I prompted to create a "real" username and password right away?
  3. Does the 3P service automatically get my "real" apple ID email address?
  4. Is what happens next entirely up to the 3P service (which doesn't give me confidence as they are asking for a password despite this being a token-based authentication system)?

How does this work?

Thanks!

Dec 23, 2020 4:38 PM in response to Mike G.

You cannot see the passwords because they don’t exist with Sign In with Apple. It’s a secure token based system so their are no passwords. The app or site developer only ever knows your name, email and a unique secure token that allows them to create the account. That token is not stored anywhere on your device but is linked to your AppleID with Apple. That’s part of the whole point with Sign In with Apple - your account with the app or web site is verified by Apple via your AppleID saying yes, you are you so grant login access. No passwords are stored anywhere on your personal device nor with the person or company offering the app or web site.

If an app or site asks for your account password, you’d either need to disassociate it from Sign In with Apple first and then use your original password. If you made the account using Sign In with Apple, you’d you would have to disassociate it and then recreate it to reset Sign In with Apple.

How to use Sign in with Apple - Apple Support

Manage the apps you use with Sign in with Apple - Apple Support

Dec 23, 2020 3:00 PM in response to Mike G.

Hey there Mike G.,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’d like to know where you can find Safari Suggested Passwords. We’ll be happy to help with this.

Take a look at the following articles for info on where you can find this depending on what device you’re using:

How to find saved passwords on your Mac

How to find saved passwords on your iPhone

We hope this helps.

Take care.

How can I access passwords for "sign in with apple" accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.