Keychain passwords

Is the "local Items" keychain password the same as my Macbook password? I've entered my Macbook password and it works sometimes and not other times in trying to see my saved passwords. I'm running latest version of Ventura.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 9, 2023 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 1:46 PM

It is the password for the user account. If you have more than one user account on your computer, which password you use would depend on which account you're using. I have to user accounts on my computer, MyName which is my personal account and Work which is, surprisingly, the account I use when working. Each account has its own password to log in.

See also:

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Staynavytom

It is the password for the user account. If you have more than one user account on your computer, which password you use would depend on which account you're using. I have to user accounts on my computer, MyName which is my personal account and Work which is, surprisingly, the account I use when working. Each account has its own password to log in.

See also:

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support

Keychain passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.