Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot my keychain password

Forgot my keychain password. Have done everything on keychain preferences and tried to reset default but then says 'It says it is unable to obtain authorisation for this operation'. Please can someone help????

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:32 AM

You will need to make a new keychain and delete the old one.

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. 
  2. Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu, then click the Reset My Default Keychain button in the preferences window. After you enter your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
  3. If you don't see a Reset My Default keychain button, close the preferences window and select the “login” keychain from the left side of the Keychain Access window. Press the Delete key, then click Delete References.
  4. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu to return to the login screen.
  5. Log in to your account using your new password. Your account password and login keychain password now match again.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 11:32 AM in response to Barbican1066

You will need to make a new keychain and delete the old one.

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. 
  2. Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu, then click the Reset My Default Keychain button in the preferences window. After you enter your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
  3. If you don't see a Reset My Default keychain button, close the preferences window and select the “login” keychain from the left side of the Keychain Access window. Press the Delete key, then click Delete References.
  4. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu to return to the login screen.
  5. Log in to your account using your new password. Your account password and login keychain password now match again.

Forgot my keychain password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.