Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 Mac Mini unable to see SSD in USB-C enclosure

I have an AUKEY 2.5" USB C Hard Drive Enclosure that I purchased from Amazon about two years ago. I have a 1 TB Crucial SSD inside of it. I have used it consistently with my 2016 13" MacBook Pro with four Thunderbolt 3 ports without issue. The SSD is formatted as APFS encrypted. When I plug it in to the MBP, it is instantly recognized and I'm prompted to enter a password.

When I plug the enclosure into my new M1 Mac mini via USB-C, System Information reports it as being connected and even seems to know it's a disk.

USB 3.1 Bus:

Host Controller Driver:	AppleT8103USBXHCI

NS1066X:

Product ID:	0x1066
  Vendor ID:	0x2537
  Version:	1.00
  Serial Number:	0123456789ABCDE
  Manufacturer:	AUKEY
  Location ID:	0x01200000

NS1066X:

Product ID:	0x1066
  Vendor ID:	0x2537
  Version:	1.00
  Serial Number:	0123456789ABCDE
  Manufacturer:	AUKEY
  Location ID:	0x01200000
  Media:
  BSD Name:	disk4
  Logical Unit:	0
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  USB Interface:	0

However, nothing else happens. Disk Utility sees nothing at all, and the Storage section of System Information only shows the mini's internal storage. I'll note that my 2018 iPad Pro also fails to access this disk, even though it supposedly supports USB storage and encrypted APFS volumes.

Any insight is appreciated. Is it just a matter of getting a new enclosure? It's hard to imagine what might cause the one I have to work fine with an older MacBook Pro but not with a brand-new Mac mini.

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 12:36 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

New M1 Mac Mini unable to see SSD in USB-C enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.