Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is rosetta going to mess with my new Mac and or is it safe to install?

Is installing rosetta to use apps on my Mac going to mess with my Macs performance and or is it safe to use rosetta on my Mac and the apps that come along with it?

MacBook

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 2:41 PM

Rosetta 2 has no apps that come along with it. Rosetta merely allows Apps written for Intel CPUs to run on the new Macs with the M1 CPUs.

Rosetta is an Apple framework that allows Apps not written for the new M1 CPUs to be translated to code the M1 understands and can run.

Its made by Apple, and should not affect your Mac in any way. Its perfectly safe.

If you need to run apps not made for the M1 CPU, which is the majority of apps right now, then you need Rosetta 2.

Otherwise you do not need it. If you were prompted to download and install it, then you need it, and its fine to get it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 2:41 PM in response to frankfromashland

Rosetta 2 has no apps that come along with it. Rosetta merely allows Apps written for Intel CPUs to run on the new Macs with the M1 CPUs.

Rosetta is an Apple framework that allows Apps not written for the new M1 CPUs to be translated to code the M1 understands and can run.

Its made by Apple, and should not affect your Mac in any way. Its perfectly safe.

If you need to run apps not made for the M1 CPU, which is the majority of apps right now, then you need Rosetta 2.

Otherwise you do not need it. If you were prompted to download and install it, then you need it, and its fine to get it.

is rosetta going to mess with my new Mac and or is it safe to install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.