📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone WiFi hotspot drops connection to my Linux laptop every 10min or so

I used to always tether my iPhone for internet access on the go, however since the ios 14 update that stopped working. This is being dealt with by the Linux community;

github iphone tethering issue

Since USB tethering was not working i've had to resort to wifi hotspot instead. This connects just fine and works fine for approx 10-20 min. Then the connection drops and i have to toggle wifi hotspot on the phone to get it to re-connect.

Works fine with other devices, for instance android phone.

I tried running a script to repeat GET requests to a web page to keep connection alive but even this failed.

Any idea whats causing this?

Laptop is running manjaro linux, also affects ubuntu linux.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 6:45 AM

1 reply

Dec 24, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Benny_H88

Hi Benny_H88,

Thanks for coming out through Apple Support Communities for help with your Personal Hotspot and Linux installation. We'll help get to the bottom of this with you.

Will it be possible to test if the issue occurs when using a computer that has Mac or Windows installed?

Though you're able to connect for a few minutes, let us know if the steps in this guide help under the section titled, "If you can't connect to Personal Hotspot with Wi-Fi":

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

iPhone WiFi hotspot drops connection to my Linux laptop every 10min or so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.