Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer my iPhone data to a new iPad for set up

I want to set up my new iPad can I transfer my info from my iPhone

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Yes, you can but with certain limitations. --> About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

An extract from the above....

"Can I use my device's backup for another kind of device, like an iPhone backup for an iPad?

You can restore a device from a backup of another kind of device, like using an iPad backup for an iPhone, but certain types of content won't transfer. This content includes photos, Messages and attachments in Messages, Voice Memos, and apps that aren't compatible with the device that you’re setting up. For example, apps compatible only with iPad won't transfer to your iPhone.

If your devices use iCloud and Messages in iCloud, your iMessages and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages are automatically stored in iCloud."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Loushirley

Yes, you can but with certain limitations. --> About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

An extract from the above....

"Can I use my device's backup for another kind of device, like an iPhone backup for an iPad?

You can restore a device from a backup of another kind of device, like using an iPad backup for an iPhone, but certain types of content won't transfer. This content includes photos, Messages and attachments in Messages, Voice Memos, and apps that aren't compatible with the device that you’re setting up. For example, apps compatible only with iPad won't transfer to your iPhone.

If your devices use iCloud and Messages in iCloud, your iMessages and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages are automatically stored in iCloud."

Can I transfer my iPhone data to a new iPad for set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.