Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone keeps changing format of my saved contacts numbers

This has happened several times now and I can’t work out why it happens. The format that my phone numbers are saved in keeps changing so I am unable to call or text them. It also makes it difficult to know who messages are from as the +44 layout is shown so if numbers are saved starting with a 0 then it’s a nightmare. Had anyone had this issue. The only fix apple could find was to change my region restart my phone change back to uk region and restart again but my phone isn’t even 6 months old and this is the third time it’s happened. Really infuriating when you can’t call someone in your contacts.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:08 PM

You can change the country format for addresses and phone numbers using https://www.icloud.com

Note: These changes apply only to Contacts on iCloud.com. You must change formatting individually on each of your devices using the Contacts app on iOS and Mac, or Microsoft Outlook on Windows computers. For more information, see the documentation for the apps.

1. Click the Action pop-up menu  in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Choose a country from the Address Layout menu.
  3. To have Contacts automatically add hyphens and other symbols in phone numbers, select “Automatically format phone numbers.” If you want to be able to enter phone numbers in more than one format, don’t select this option.
  4. Click Save.

Watch this GIF Below

You may also use Dial Assist:

Settings > Phone > Dial Assist [Enable]

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 1:08 PM in response to Chattsh

You can change the country format for addresses and phone numbers using https://www.icloud.com

Note: These changes apply only to Contacts on iCloud.com. You must change formatting individually on each of your devices using the Contacts app on iOS and Mac, or Microsoft Outlook on Windows computers. For more information, see the documentation for the apps.

1. Click the Action pop-up menu  in the sidebar, then choose Preferences.
  2. Choose a country from the Address Layout menu.
  3. To have Contacts automatically add hyphens and other symbols in phone numbers, select “Automatically format phone numbers.” If you want to be able to enter phone numbers in more than one format, don’t select this option.
  4. Click Save.

Watch this GIF Below

You may also use Dial Assist:

Settings > Phone > Dial Assist [Enable]

Phone keeps changing format of my saved contacts numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.