Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing apple watch - unable to download apps - requires iphone

Hi

I've just bought my kid an apple watch for Christmas. I've set it up as a standalone device under family sharing. I've been trying to download some apps on the watch. However every single time I try and download an app it won't let me as it says it requires an iphone, however this watch is not connected to a phone as my kid doesn't have a phone.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Are there any solutions?

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 1:17 PM

The only Apple Watches that will act as a stand alone device is the series 4 or newer and must have cellular capabilities. Otherwise, you must have an iPhone to use one.

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

10 replies

Feb 14, 2021 12:53 AM in response to scot278

I have an apple 5 series watch that cannot download any app from the app store from my watch. Every time it says I must sign in from my IPhone with my apple ID. I really want to track my sleep and be able to use this device like it is designed. That feature is really one of reasons I purchased this watch. Please advise how to best solve this issue 🙏. I am connected to wifi and I am in the app store. I am unable to get any app at all.

Jan 29, 2021 10:14 PM in response to Aolo1971

Hi

I am in the same position. I have 2 watches for my kids both s5. Both have been set up with family plan under one IPhone.

The only app I have been able to download from the watch itself is the pedometer. Every other app I have tried doesn’t work. When you press get you then are told iPhone required.

I have tried share all purchases from iPhone and that still doesn’t work.

Family sharing apple watch - unable to download apps - requires iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.