Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos double-saved under documents

Hi,

I'm having troubles managing the storage on my MacBook as I received the notification that my memory is almost full.

As you can see here (sorry, Italian) most of my space is taken up by documents and photos.

When checking better, you see that additional to the "Photo" folder of 33 GB there is as well a "Pictures" (=Immagini in Italian) subfolder of 62 GB in Documents containing my Photo Library.

So now my pictures are like "double saved" in the Documents folder and in the Photo folder.

How do I manage to remove the double counting of photos in the Documents?

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 3:06 PM

Hi,

Photo libraries are just simple folders/packages and can be stored anywhere. I'm guessing that at some point in the past you created a new library or made a copy of your main library.

I would do the following:

1. Open Photos.app., press CMD , [COMMA] and in the general tab it will give you the folder path to the library that you have open - this is likely to be your 'primary' library.
  2. Close Photos.app and go to the 'other' library and double click it to open it, i.e. if the library you opened in [1] above is in the Documents folder then open the library in the Fotos folder and vice versa. If you recognise all of the photos in this library as being duplicates of those photos in the primary library then you can delete this library. Although I would recommend moving it to an external HD until you are happy that all of the photos in this second library are duplicates of those in the primary library.
  3. HOWEVER, if some or all of the photos in the library are different to those in the primary library then you have two choices - either merge the two libraries or maintain the two separate libraries. You may want to move the library that is in your documents folder to the Fotos just to tidy up your files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 3:06 PM in response to -SC

Hi,

Photo libraries are just simple folders/packages and can be stored anywhere. I'm guessing that at some point in the past you created a new library or made a copy of your main library.

I would do the following:

1. Open Photos.app., press CMD , [COMMA] and in the general tab it will give you the folder path to the library that you have open - this is likely to be your 'primary' library.
  2. Close Photos.app and go to the 'other' library and double click it to open it, i.e. if the library you opened in [1] above is in the Documents folder then open the library in the Fotos folder and vice versa. If you recognise all of the photos in this library as being duplicates of those photos in the primary library then you can delete this library. Although I would recommend moving it to an external HD until you are happy that all of the photos in this second library are duplicates of those in the primary library.
  3. HOWEVER, if some or all of the photos in the library are different to those in the primary library then you have two choices - either merge the two libraries or maintain the two separate libraries. You may want to move the library that is in your documents folder to the Fotos just to tidy up your files.

Photos double-saved under documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.