Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's 12.2 gb of program, why does it take up 44gb to install?

Read above?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 9:49 PM

The 12.2GBs installer app has compressed all of the files necessary to install macOS Ben Hur.

As it uncompresses them for the install it needs the space on your hard drive to do this.

The install of Ben Hur will overwrite your existing macOS but to be able to do this

it needs the free space on your mac so it can write the files to disk and then shuffle them around

to overwrite your existing system without loss of data.

At the end of the install you will notice that not all of the 45Gbs has been used and has been re-allocated as free space.

No need for you to get so angry.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 9:49 PM in response to KotukuT2469

The 12.2GBs installer app has compressed all of the files necessary to install macOS Ben Hur.

As it uncompresses them for the install it needs the space on your hard drive to do this.

The install of Ben Hur will overwrite your existing macOS but to be able to do this

it needs the free space on your mac so it can write the files to disk and then shuffle them around

to overwrite your existing system without loss of data.

At the end of the install you will notice that not all of the 45Gbs has been used and has been re-allocated as free space.

No need for you to get so angry.

Dec 27, 2020 9:16 PM in response to KotukuT2469

Hey again! Agree with the responses. I do believe the first response was complete and accurate. And this is a public community, not Apple insiders, but users of Apple products like you, who have needed help in the past, and try to give that same help back if we can, that’s what I like about this place. But if you need to, you can contact Apple Support directly, I’m sure they’d be ready, willing and happy to help out!:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Hope it works out okay!

It's 12.2 gb of program, why does it take up 44gb to install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.