Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

networking my laptop to my MacPro

guys, i have a laptop running high sierra and a MacPro (running the same i believe).

can someone remind me 1. how i access the MacPro from the laptop? i really need to move data off my laptop onto the MacPro. 2. but i also want to sort files on my MacPro while i am using my laptop (sitting on the couch basically).

can someone remind me how to do this?

below is what i found from the help section. but i don't see a "Network" section in finder. also i was able to go under the SHARED section where i found the MacPro computer. and if i double click on it i DO find the parent folder of the MacPro. so then i burrow down and i can find the DOCUMENTS folder and the DESKTOP folder. do i have to sort files on the laptop from within this little finder window? or is there a better way to sort folders on the MacPro from my laptop?

THANKS

-

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers

You can connect to shared computers and file servers on your network, including Mac and Windows computers that have file sharing turned on, and servers that use protocols such as SMB.

You can connect by either browsing or entering the computer’s or server’s network address. See Find your computer’s name and network address.

Connect to a computer or server by browsing

1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon  in the Dock to open a Finder window, then click Network in the Locations section of the sidebar.
  2. If no items appear in the Locations section of the sidebar, hold the pointer over the word Locations, then click the arrow .
  3. In the Finder window, double-click the computer you want to connect to, then click Connect As.
  4. If you’re connecting to a Mac that has screen sharing turned on and you have the appropriate privileges, you can also click Share Screen.
  5. Select how you want to connect to the Mac:
    • Guest: You can connect as a Guest user if the shared computer permits guest access.
    • Registered User: Connect to the other Mac using a valid login name and password. If “Only these users” is selected on the other Mac, make sure the login name you’re using is on the list of allowed users.
    • Using an Apple ID: Connect to the other Mac using an Apple ID. You must be set up in Users & Groups preferences with this Apple ID, on both this Mac and the other Mac.
  1. If necessary, enter your username and password, then select volumes or shared folders on the server.
  2. In some cases you need the network area or workgroup for the shared computer. If you don’t have this information, contact the computer’s owner or your network administrator.
  3. Tip: To make it easier to connect to the computer in the future, select “Remember this password in my keychain” to add your username and password for the computer to your keychain.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 1:38 AM

On the laptop click on the Desktop to make Finder active and then click Go in the menubar,

click on Connect to Server fill in the smb address for the Mac Pro.

Make sure both macs are on and connected over LAN.

You need to know the IP address of the MacPro.

On the MacPro, activate Screen Sharing and File Sharing in System Preferences> Sharing.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 1:38 AM in response to hotwheels22

On the laptop click on the Desktop to make Finder active and then click Go in the menubar,

click on Connect to Server fill in the smb address for the Mac Pro.

Make sure both macs are on and connected over LAN.

You need to know the IP address of the MacPro.

On the MacPro, activate Screen Sharing and File Sharing in System Preferences> Sharing.

networking my laptop to my MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.