Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup file sharing?

I'm trying to setup file sharing between a Macbook Air and several windows pc's but I'm running into a few issue:

1. The mac doesn't show up on file explorer under network (could be a windows issue?) you have to type in its IP (e.g. \\192.168.0.4) to gain access. Not the end of the world I could live with this as the mac has a static ip
  2. I can't find anyway to allow network connections to the mac without requiring network credentials. I know its less secure but id prefer to be able to just open it. again not the end of the world windows can remember credentials, ill just have to type it in to any new computers that need access.
  3. and finally the biggest issue of them all, Whenever a windows user is connected, either as Guest or as a Sharing account, anything they write to the shared folder, wether its a txt document or just creating another folder, I can't access the file from my macbook without going into settings>sharing>filesharing right clicking the shared folder and clicking apply permissions to enclosed items. this I don't think i could live with, its rather annoying, is there anyway to have the mac just automatically do this whenever a file is transferred?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Posted on May 8, 2022 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 12:59 PM

whoops, didn't copy full command before.

run this command:

"chmod +a "group:GROUPNAME allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,

file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Path/To/Shared/Folder"

Similar questions

2 replies

May 8, 2022 12:42 PM in response to ChristopherFarnsworth

solution to #3 was to add my account and the sharing account to a group then run this:

"chmod +a "group:test allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/chris/Desktop/test"

now permissions work as expected.

How to setup file sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.