Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email hacked..... What to do

A friend just had his email hacked and I was one victim.

If someone has the time and expertise, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

I received an email from him this AM. Correct address (@comcast) shown. But it wasn’t him

I responded.

That resulted in my receiving a response from his address but now @yahoo. That reply was asking for help buying an Apple gift card.

So: My friend has lost all inbound mail and no one can email him. Somehow the hacker now diverts all of his @comcast account email.

What should he do?

Do I need to do anything having received this email to prevent something like that happening to me?

Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 12:34 PM

The way this malware works is basically the following:

1. The malware is introduced as part of an email, typically that looks like it from someone you know.
  2. The email would, in most cases, include a link to click on ... but not all do and just by opening it may be possible for the malware to "infect" that recipient's device. Similarly, replying to this email would provide the malware originator with your email address ... which, in turn, they may start sending malicious emails to.

This issue is more common with Windows-based computers, and not with Macs ... but Macs are not impervious to malware/adware.

A few things that you can do at this point:

1. Try using Malwarebytes for Mac or EtreCheck to locate, and remove, any malware "infections" on your Mac. Do not use dedicated Anti-Virus apps on your Mac for this as they tend to cause more issues than resolve them. Besides, Macs to date, do not get viruses.

You didn't mention what email provider you received this message on. Regardless, you will need to be more diligent going forward to look for other potential malware messages coming your way. If it is an iCloud email account, I strongly suggest that you change your Apple ID password immediately. Manage your Apple ID - Apple

As far as your friend, if they have a Mac, then the same info I provided you would be a good start. If, instead, they have a Windows PC, then it's a "whole different ballgame" on what their next steps would be.

Regardless, the following may come in handy:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Norm Harris

The way this malware works is basically the following:

1. The malware is introduced as part of an email, typically that looks like it from someone you know.
  2. The email would, in most cases, include a link to click on ... but not all do and just by opening it may be possible for the malware to "infect" that recipient's device. Similarly, replying to this email would provide the malware originator with your email address ... which, in turn, they may start sending malicious emails to.

This issue is more common with Windows-based computers, and not with Macs ... but Macs are not impervious to malware/adware.

A few things that you can do at this point:

1. Try using Malwarebytes for Mac or EtreCheck to locate, and remove, any malware "infections" on your Mac. Do not use dedicated Anti-Virus apps on your Mac for this as they tend to cause more issues than resolve them. Besides, Macs to date, do not get viruses.

You didn't mention what email provider you received this message on. Regardless, you will need to be more diligent going forward to look for other potential malware messages coming your way. If it is an iCloud email account, I strongly suggest that you change your Apple ID password immediately. Manage your Apple ID - Apple

As far as your friend, if they have a Mac, then the same info I provided you would be a good start. If, instead, they have a Windows PC, then it's a "whole different ballgame" on what their next steps would be.

Regardless, the following may come in handy:

Dec 24, 2020 1:01 PM in response to Norm Harris

I don't use or recommend any dedicated AV apps for Macs, especially those that run in the "background." I do use ClamXAV on my Synology NAS, but only for that.

As BobTheFisherman has pointed out, EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool. It is not a dedicated AV app but can, in a number of cases, help identify malware or adware and assist with its removal. On the other hand Malwarebytes is an anti-malware app. It can be argued that is could be called an AV app, but I suggested it as it can discover forms of malware/adware that can "infect" Macs. I use it proactively on occasion to look for any issues, if I suspect there may be any. It is available on a trial basis. During the trial, it will default to run in the background continuously monitoring for potential malware infections. (This is why it could be considered as a typical AV app.) You can then decide, whether or not, you want to purchase it after the trial is over OR let the trial-version expire and continue to use it as a "free" version. The only thing is that it will no longer run in background and you have to run it when you want to check for infections. Regardless, it will be fully functional either way.

Email hacked..... What to do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.