Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2018 not booting to anything!

Mac mini 2018 

I have a Mac mini that is pretty much destined for the scrap heap at the moment. It's non-functional.

Here are the steps that I have tried to bring it back to life.

Initially, I turned it on and the OS is missing, this is represented by the folder with the question mark.

So I then boot to internet recovery, I enter the password for my wifi, (also with ethernet) and wait….

The spinning globe then stops and the progress bar resembles a matchstick, it then boots back up to the network recovery again.

I have then attempted to boot to a USB stick, (Mojave and Catalina) this defaults immediately to network recovery entering the password does the same thing.

I’ve tried an SMC and NVRAM reset so effect.

I have then used the Apple Configurator 2 and put it into DFU mode. Tried both Revive and Restore with no real effect.

During network recovery, it did Give a time of 4 seconds that then moved all the way to 0 after 3 minutes but then rebooted to the network recovery mode.

I’ve tried all of the above multiple times and variations of order but I have failed to get anywhere.

Target disk mode works and I can use disk utility to prep the drive.

While in Target Disk mode I cloned the drive of an identical Mac mini to it. When booting the Mac mini it goes to the apple logo and runs on a booting loop.

After this, I again tried the network boot and it appeared to run through the network connection to the reboot with the apple logo and progress bar but no progress appeared and rebooted again.

I would like to think I have covered everything software related.

What's left to check?

I’m thinking it's a problem with the T2 chip?

Else memory? Although the memory is apple installed.

Is there any way I can run a hardware test? Linux OS on USB?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 11:44 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mac mini 2018 not booting to anything!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.