Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete gmail messages in mail app iOS 14.3

I cannot delete messages in my gmail account mailbox using the native mail app on iPhone. My only choice is archive (which I do not want to do, I want to delete emails).

Older instructions https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250734782?answerId=250734782021#250734782021say to go Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Gmail > tap on your account at the top > Advanced > etc. But there is no 'Passwords & Accounts'. There is only Passwords and no Accounts section. Where is the setting now? (Using iOS 14.3)

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 4:00 PM

Ugh I figured it out. Posting in case it helps someone else. The help article at Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone - Apple Support is close but step 2 is missing a piece/not quite right. What is says as of this writing:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  2. Tap your email account, tap Mail (below Advanced), then tap Advanced.
  3. In the Advanced settings, change the destination mailbox for discarded emails to Archive Mailbox.

What step 2 should say (for this case):

Tap your gmail account, then tap your Account email, then tap Advanced.

Note that that the Account row with your email address listed has a subtle grey > at the end of it, hence clickable. This hidden menu previously wasn't apparent to me.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 4:00 PM in response to DedraPerson

Ugh I figured it out. Posting in case it helps someone else. The help article at Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone - Apple Support is close but step 2 is missing a piece/not quite right. What is says as of this writing:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  2. Tap your email account, tap Mail (below Advanced), then tap Advanced.
  3. In the Advanced settings, change the destination mailbox for discarded emails to Archive Mailbox.

What step 2 should say (for this case):

Tap your gmail account, then tap your Account email, then tap Advanced.

Note that that the Account row with your email address listed has a subtle grey > at the end of it, hence clickable. This hidden menu previously wasn't apparent to me.

Cannot delete gmail messages in mail app iOS 14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.