Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iPhones: iCloud pictures

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro Max from a iPhone 8+. The phone was reset when I got it but it was already on the Lock Screen not the “hello” screen, although there was no Apple ID connected. I usually would transfer all my material from one phone to the other in beginning set up but I did not this time. I logged into my new phone and set everything up, on my old phone I had no iCloud storage left to use. When I logged into my new phone it did not have any pictures backed up from recently, it hasn’t been backed up since July. My question is: should I upgrade the iCloud storage on my old phone that still has the new pictures? Would it transfer to my new phone? Or do I upgrade my new phone’s iCloud storage? Would it be able to receive my recent pictures automatically when I upgrade? Just a little confused on what to do.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 9:33 AM

If you upgrade the iCloud storage on the old device, it's questionable whether the photos that wasn't syncing would sync but you can certainly try. Therefore, purchase the extra iCloud storage then see if all the photos would sync with iCloud. If they sync, then that's great because on the new device they would automatically sync with your iCloud.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 9:33 AM in response to sydneyypaige

If you upgrade the iCloud storage on the old device, it's questionable whether the photos that wasn't syncing would sync but you can certainly try. Therefore, purchase the extra iCloud storage then see if all the photos would sync with iCloud. If they sync, then that's great because on the new device they would automatically sync with your iCloud.

Dec 23, 2020 9:07 PM in response to sydneyypaige

Were your photos stored in iCloud on the 8 or were they stored solely on-device?  If the photos were stored on the old device (8) in iCloud and you were getting an error message, e.g. insufficient iCloud storage, then I’d suggest upgrading it.  If you weren’t receiving such a message, then hold off for now.

If the photos were in iCloud storage on the old device (8), then once you enable the appropriate iCloud settings on the new device your photos should sync providing the new device was left plugged in to power, connected to WiFi, and locked.

On the new device, are you seeing the photos syncing or beginning to sync in the iCloud Photos app?

Dec 23, 2020 10:36 PM in response to zinacef

Yes I believe what happened was the storage could only hold up to so much and after that, it stopped backing it up to iCloud. So I think the ones that were backed up are only on the iCloud but I have gotten the insufficient storage message many times, for a while now. I am not seeing any syncing notification for the iCloud pictures. So if I decide to upgrade, do I need to upgrade on my old iPhone to backup those pictures? Would I be able to transfer that to my new iPhone after paying for it on the old one if I log in with the same iCloud account?

Transferring iPhones: iCloud pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.