Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro REQUIRES Network connection to install/update via USB install drive?

System: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

I have several USB Install drives (10.14, 10.15, 11.0.1) I use to wipe/refresh systems in a work environment.

When attempting to update the above-referenced MBP, I select to boot from my USB install drive as usual, but the system then brings me to the spinning-globe network/WiFi screen and there is no option to continue.

I am in an environment without internet connectivity, hence my use of USB drives to do clean installs.

Please tell me I'm missing a step and Apple hasn't killed off-line installs. Please.

peace

~( ):>

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 10:34 PM

I'm going to answer my own question here so the answer is available. Also, I'm stupid and I already knew this in theory.

Apple Security enhancements on T2 Chip Macs block booting from external media by default. In order to change the setting, you need:

• To have any firmware and/or system passwords
  • To boot into Recovery Mode
  • Go to Utilities-->Startup Security Utility
  • Change the default setting from the Allowed Boot Media section from "Disallow booting from external or removable media" to "Allow booting from external or removable media."

Then, you can reboot to the external USB drive, wipe, reinstall, and get yourself a true clean install of OS X.

peace

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 10:34 PM in response to liquidmice

I'm going to answer my own question here so the answer is available. Also, I'm stupid and I already knew this in theory.

Apple Security enhancements on T2 Chip Macs block booting from external media by default. In order to change the setting, you need:

• To have any firmware and/or system passwords
  • To boot into Recovery Mode
  • Go to Utilities-->Startup Security Utility
  • Change the default setting from the Allowed Boot Media section from "Disallow booting from external or removable media" to "Allow booting from external or removable media."

Then, you can reboot to the external USB drive, wipe, reinstall, and get yourself a true clean install of OS X.

peace

MacBook Pro REQUIRES Network connection to install/update via USB install drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.