Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clips in Project's Timeline do not show orange bar

I have a project with six clips in the opened timeline. 5 of the 6 clips show an orange bar in the browser as they should. One does not. I notice the same thing in various other projects in that event. Most clips show the orange bar when the project is opened as they should but one or two might not. I'm not sure if other events have this issue but a quick check of two other events don't show this issue. This happens with more than one project in that same event. There are a couple of projects that when opened fail to show some of the orange bars as expected. Some clips have the expected orange bar and some do not. What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 6:48 AM

"Can I rename in the browser first, then add to timeline?"

Of course. It's just that timeline renaming doesn't track back to the browser; the name is unchanged, which makes sense as you can give different clip segments different names in the timeline. The problem is that the used selection isn't maintained after the application is closed and reopened.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 6:48 AM in response to digibudII

"Can I rename in the browser first, then add to timeline?"

Of course. It's just that timeline renaming doesn't track back to the browser; the name is unchanged, which makes sense as you can give different clip segments different names in the timeline. The problem is that the used selection isn't maintained after the application is closed and reopened.

Dec 25, 2020 6:32 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

yes, it's quite possible some have been renamed in the timeline so I did go to one of them in the timeline and changed the name back to match the clip in the browser to no effect. If it is the renaming that causes the issue I'm bummed. It's so handy to be able to rename things. Can I rename in the browser first, then add to timeline? What if I rename in the browser after something is in the timeline...guess I'll have to experiment. I suspected as much then dismissed the idea after I made the timeline name match and that did not help. After some experimentation it appears I can rename in the browser and maintain the orange bar. I just added a clip to a timeline and renamed it and the orange bar was not lost. Quite puzzling since it does seem like that could be involved but just now I renamed a timeline clip and it did not cause the orange bar to be lost.

Dec 25, 2020 7:20 AM in response to digibudII

If you are in filmstrip mode in the Browser then you my be zoomed out to much, or have the duration of the clips too short, thus the orange bar (used media) will be too small for you to see.

Select one of those clips that doesn't have an orange bar in the Timeline, Shift-F, does it highlight that used range in the Browser, can you zoom in on it, is it orange?

Clips in Project's Timeline do not show orange bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.