Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to connect my iPhone 11 Pro to my iMac with Sierra 10.12.6, but the Mac says it needs a software update to be connect the iPhone. I don't want a whole new OS. Will an update just allow me to connect the iPhone? Thanks

Trying to connect my iPhone 11 Pro (which is incorrectly named Chris's iPhone 6) to my iMac 2017 with Sierra 10.12.6, but the iMac says it needs a software update to connect the iPhone. I don't want a whole new OS (due to use of some older applications). Will an "update" simply allow me to connect the iPhone? Or will it update the whole OS? Thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 8:30 AM

If you were prompted to install what's called a Helper Update, then it will only install the iPhone Helper Update and not upgrade the whole macOS.

FWIW I've been prompted and install iPhone helper updates on my Mac's running High Sierra and Mojave.

2 replies

Trying to connect my iPhone 11 Pro to my iMac with Sierra 10.12.6, but the Mac says it needs a software update to be connect the iPhone. I don't want a whole new OS. Will an update just allow me to connect the iPhone? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.