Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to make the menu bar more readable permanently?

I just had my iMac hard drive replaced for the 3rd time and using Big Sur, I can't seem to find out how to get my settings back to the way I had them [and like them]. The menu bar is unreadable unless I lean forward so what's the point of a big screen if the stuff you need is too hard to see? I've been through a the system prefs I can find and nothing is helping. Has anyone found a solution?

I also notice that different apps are smaller than I like them. Same deal - I can't figure out how to adjust them.

Help?

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 1:47 PM

If you are in Dark appearance mode, it helps to have a dark background wall paper, because otherwise the menubar gets washed out with transparency. In System Preferences : Accessibility : Display panel, experiment with reducing transparency, though that may have consequences elsewhere. The menu bar will get darker and the text somewhat lighter.

The Finder should remember its adjusted window sizes, but open and save panels, not being actual Finder windows, and though they can be resized, will not have that change remembered by their applications. That's a future fix (I hope) from Apple.

I am using a 32 inch LG Ultrafine 4K display with my M1 mini, and had to make some changes too. I also happen to have specific computer prescription for my glasses, and that helps immensely with the finer details.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 1:47 PM in response to CeeVeeFo

If you are in Dark appearance mode, it helps to have a dark background wall paper, because otherwise the menubar gets washed out with transparency. In System Preferences : Accessibility : Display panel, experiment with reducing transparency, though that may have consequences elsewhere. The menu bar will get darker and the text somewhat lighter.

The Finder should remember its adjusted window sizes, but open and save panels, not being actual Finder windows, and though they can be resized, will not have that change remembered by their applications. That's a future fix (I hope) from Apple.

I am using a 32 inch LG Ultrafine 4K display with my M1 mini, and had to make some changes too. I also happen to have specific computer prescription for my glasses, and that helps immensely with the finer details.

Is there a way to make the menu bar more readable permanently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.