Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacbookPro 17" Chargers

I have two MacBook Pro 17" laptops; they each have different size "mag-safe" charger connections. I can't start them up to check model type; anyone know which is which?

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 12:57 PM

6 replies

Dec 25, 2020 5:32 PM in response to gloriafromdearborn

gloriafromdearborn Said:

"MacbookPro 17" Chargers: I have two MacBook Pro 17" laptops; they each have different size "mag-safe" charger connections. I can't start them up to check model type; anyone know which is which? [...]I don’t know what year/ model[...]"

-------

How to find out the year/model:

A. Enter the serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support. It would then popup. The serial number is on the Botton of the Mac.

B. Boot into Recovery Mode:

1. Hold Down: [command key + R key] upon boot
  2. Click: the Apple logo on the top-left of the screen
  3. Select: About this Mac
  4. View: the second line-down

Dec 25, 2020 5:03 PM in response to neuroanatomist

No..,, I have several chargers, but they are toolarge for the 17” pro; pic shows🤔 haven’t booted in years, so I’m surprised/confused and not up to snuff on these connections anymore. Since I don’t know what year/ model, I don’t know which charger this is (that doesn’t fit)🙄; it’s longer than the slot it connects to

Dec 26, 2020 3:32 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks, THAT's what I needed: to identify which one IS this one I have?...=0

Yes, I'm sure both take that same; small assumption on my part as I remember charging the OTHER 17" I own...so I assumed the multiple chargers I had laying around were for OTHER macPros I"ve had the last 20 years...!

Aauurrgghh. Boxes and boxes of old apple hardware in my basement....! a bit of a museum....

Thanks....

MacbookPro 17" Chargers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.