Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intaglio under macOS Big Sur

I updated my MacBook to macOS Big Sur, and Intaglio (version 3.9.5) stopped working.

Intaglio neither opens old files nor opens/creates a new file.

I woul appreciate any help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 8:23 PM

Yes, works fine for me on a MacBook Pro with M1 chip. You do still need to do the magic bit to get it to work properly under Big Sur. What worked for me was messing around under the Window > Workspace menu. Choosing Floating Windows seemed to do it for me. But it was one of those things where you try 5 things, and then you realize it is working, and are not exactly sure which did it.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 8:23 PM in response to John Whisman1

Yes, works fine for me on a MacBook Pro with M1 chip. You do still need to do the magic bit to get it to work properly under Big Sur. What worked for me was messing around under the Window > Workspace menu. Choosing Floating Windows seemed to do it for me. But it was one of those things where you try 5 things, and then you realize it is working, and are not exactly sure which did it.

Jan 5, 2021 1:44 PM in response to beenakker

Intaglio works well with Big Sur: the trick.

Click on Intaglio application and "get info".

Click on "Open in Low Resolution"

Open Intaglio: it works!

Close intaglio and untick "Open in Low Resolution"

After this, Intaglio opens normally, recognises all previous documents and works as expected.

I did this of four computers with version 3.9.5 and OSX 11.1

Enjoy

Fernando

Jan 5, 2021 2:55 PM in response to katrin224

A search of the Intaglio vendor web site ends in purgatory, well actually a search for purgatorydesign ends in server response code 503 indicating Service Temporarily Unavailable. Can't tell if they are still in business, and if they haven't updated the application (no longer in the Mac App Store) for several years, then they are likely gone, and Intaglio is an application island.

Jan 12, 2021 2:45 PM in response to John Whisman1

Sorry- I should have said. It is an iMac 19,1 (2019) running Big Sur (11.1). This seems to work OK.

I have just also been trying on my 13" MacBook Pro (2019) Big Sur 11.1. So far the "trick" has not worked on that machine, which is a pain as I use it for teaching and have lots of Intaglio diagrams. I can't think of a reason it would not work on a MacBook but is OK on an iMac, but that seems to be the case for me right now.

Jan 12, 2021 11:25 PM in response to Erik Jensen

an alternative "trick" , which worked for me on all computers I tried it on, is to (open and close a "new workspace").

for a replacement, I can recommend Affinity Designer. I made the switch before I realized that Intaglio could actually work on Big Sur, and it was OK. Here is brief list of changes I had to get used to:

• duplicate: cmd-D —> cmd-J

• line tool —> choose the pen tool and select the line mode

• Apple color picker can be found in the View menu

• cmd-arrow —> shift-arrow (displacement distance can be set in the tools section of the preferences)

• to rescale by a certain percentage, say 150%: replace input field in the transform panel by 150%

• there is no arc tool

• there is no “select similar” functionality

Jan 31, 2021 3:02 AM in response to John Whisman1

This is no longer available in the app store. I was able to download it again, I thought reinstalling would fix something.Unfortunately ... On my Macbook Pro 2017 (version 14.3) the version 3.9.5 from the App Store does not work. A demo version 3.9.5a from the internet works, but I do not have a serial number. However, I paid in full for the App store version ..... Grrrrrrrr ...

Feb 2, 2021 8:40 PM in response to John Whisman1

I used Intaglio to plan and manage my house remodel (lots of scale drawings), and it worked great for that. Sad it seems to be gone. But an old drawing favorite of mine has been, against all odds, revived: Canvas. The version for Mac is Canvas X Draw. I have just played around with it a little so far, but it has scale drawings, an interface that I remember, and hopefully all of what I need.

Feb 22, 2021 10:49 PM in response to beenakker

I can get Intaglio to launch but files that worked fine under Catalina now do not always work right with Big Sur. For example, drawing object scale with respect to page size is off. Some drawing tools seem corrupted, too. Developer's online site (Purgatory Design) shows nothing about Intaglio. If the company has bailed out this drawing program, maybe it's time to look for an alternative program. Although much more expensive and complex, will Adobe Illustrator do the same job?

Intaglio under macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.