Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS (green) message read status not syncing from iPhone

I am having an issue where the read status of SMS (green) messages are not syncing from my iPhone to the MacBook Pro or my iPad. AKA - the message still has a notification (red dot) on my MacBook Pro or iPad, even though I read it on my iPhone. iMessages (blue) messages read status is working fine.

Here are the observations: 

1. The actual messages are showing up on each device and can be read. No issue with delivery of the actual SMS messages
  2. If I read the SMS on the MacBook Pro or the iPad, it does sync the read status to the other device (MacBook Pro to iPad or iPad to MacBook Pro) 
  3. Additionally, if I read the SMS message on my MacBook Pro or iPad, it will change the read status on the iPhone (but not the other way around.) 
  4. iMessage (blue) message read status are syncing fine between all devices all directions. 
  5. I am on the most current versions of MacOS and iOS
  6. I’ve tried to log out of iCloud and back in on all devices. That did not solve the problem.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 5:51 PM

Found a solution for any other random person searching in frustration for a solution, compliments of a Reddit user. His fix is related to an Apple Watch issue, but it also solved my issue. Here it is:

Just wanted to report back on something that fixed the issue for both my gf and I.
1. Under iMessage, unselect your phone number as a place to send and receive iMessages. You should only have your Apple ID/email address selected.
2. Turn off iMessage for 5 - 10 seconds. Just long enough for us to be sure it registered everywhere.
3. Turn iMessage back on. At this point you should only have your email address as the sender/recipient of iMessages.
4. Wait until you get the pop-up notification that “your APPLE ID is now being used for iMessage on a new Apple Watch”. If you forgot to turn off your phone number or if the notification says your PHONE NUMBER is being used for iMessage on your Apple Watch then go back to step 1.
5. After you get the notification that your Apple Watch is using your Apple ID for iMessage, you can change the iMessage settings to allow your phone number to send/receive iMessages. You can even make it the default. Just don’t unselect the email address and only leave the phone number.
I haven’t had the issue come back in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

Thanks u/Dee_Key

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 5:51 PM in response to jefftb78

Found a solution for any other random person searching in frustration for a solution, compliments of a Reddit user. His fix is related to an Apple Watch issue, but it also solved my issue. Here it is:

Just wanted to report back on something that fixed the issue for both my gf and I.
1. Under iMessage, unselect your phone number as a place to send and receive iMessages. You should only have your Apple ID/email address selected.
2. Turn off iMessage for 5 - 10 seconds. Just long enough for us to be sure it registered everywhere.
3. Turn iMessage back on. At this point you should only have your email address as the sender/recipient of iMessages.
4. Wait until you get the pop-up notification that “your APPLE ID is now being used for iMessage on a new Apple Watch”. If you forgot to turn off your phone number or if the notification says your PHONE NUMBER is being used for iMessage on your Apple Watch then go back to step 1.
5. After you get the notification that your Apple Watch is using your Apple ID for iMessage, you can change the iMessage settings to allow your phone number to send/receive iMessages. You can even make it the default. Just don’t unselect the email address and only leave the phone number.
I haven’t had the issue come back in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps.

Thanks u/Dee_Key

Dec 28, 2020 10:46 AM in response to jefftb78

Hi jefftb78,

Thanks for being part of Apple Support Communities. We'd understand that you're having issues with your SMS messages showing as read on your iPad and MacBook Pro. We'd like to help.

From what you've described, it's possible that this resource can help:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac

Hope that helps!

SMS (green) message read status not syncing from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.