Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update OS from mountain lion on recent purchase of used 2012 mini.

Error messages: 1. "This copy of the install OS X EL Capitan application can't be verified. May have been corrupted or tampered with during download.

2 . For Sierra attempt, "the installer payload failed signature check."

I have checked date in utilities command and it was correct. I re-installed mountain lion.

I also had trouble updating itunes but finally managed to.

Any ideas? thanks

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:10 PM

If you have a copy of the El Capitan installer in the "Applications" folder, then delete it and empty the Trash.

Did you download a recent copy of macOS 10.11 El Capitan from Apple? Here is an Apple article with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer plus links to various versions of macOS from 10.11 to 10.15:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Your Mac should be able to install up to macOS 10.15 Catalina, but you may first need to install macOS 10.11 if it hasn't already been installed on this system before.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 7:10 PM in response to jsama001

If you have a copy of the El Capitan installer in the "Applications" folder, then delete it and empty the Trash.

Did you download a recent copy of macOS 10.11 El Capitan from Apple? Here is an Apple article with instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer plus links to various versions of macOS from 10.11 to 10.15:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Your Mac should be able to install up to macOS 10.15 Catalina, but you may first need to install macOS 10.11 if it hasn't already been installed on this system before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.