You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen battery in MacBook Air

in September this year I bought a MacBook Air at costco (Mississauga, CA) for a few days the computer did not shut down completely, today I started watching it exactly what is the reason and noticed that the computer is "swollen", it does not lie straight on the countertop or cannot ho close because the keyboard on the bulge. what can i do in this situation ?? I'm not in Canada at the moment and won't be showing up there anytime soon. Is it possible to have a guarantee for the computer that I should replace it or have it repaired in another country I'm in Scotland at the moment 😔 please tell me what to do with him. I read that most likely it could be a swollen battery that can lead to more damage ...

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 4:01 PM

Regardless of warranty, you need to stop using the device and take it in to have the battery replaced. A swollen battery will swell further and can, at best, cause damage to other parts and, at worst, explode. Neither is recommended.

So, you need to set up an appointment with someone authorized near wherever you are as soon as possible. At that time, you can try to sort out your warranty issues; although a computer warranty is worldwide, there may be restrictions. Did you buy it new/factory sealed from Costco? I would not have waited months to deal with the issue as it can become dangerous.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2020 4:01 PM in response to MagdalenaJachacy

Regardless of warranty, you need to stop using the device and take it in to have the battery replaced. A swollen battery will swell further and can, at best, cause damage to other parts and, at worst, explode. Neither is recommended.

So, you need to set up an appointment with someone authorized near wherever you are as soon as possible. At that time, you can try to sort out your warranty issues; although a computer warranty is worldwide, there may be restrictions. Did you buy it new/factory sealed from Costco? I would not have waited months to deal with the issue as it can become dangerous.

Dec 26, 2020 4:31 PM in response to babowa

yes i bought it new at costco, do you think the warranty will cover it even though i'm in a different country ?? do you think they should replace my computer with a new one or replace the battery itself? the computer is bulged on both sides and I think that despite replacing the battery itself, it will be cumbersome to use because it is bulged (it does not close and does not stand stable on its own)

Dec 26, 2020 5:34 PM in response to MagdalenaJachacy

Well, that would be for an authorized service provider and/or Apple to determine. You can then ask - the normal step is to repair first (in this case: replace the battery); if you waited too long, other parts may be affected. The one year warranty for a computer is worldwide. Apple will not replace a computer if a repair will fix the problem.

Make sure you have your purchase receipt handy since you did not buy it from Apple - did you register your device at Apple (is it listed as a device under your Apple ID?)?

Swollen battery in MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.