Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has the macbook pro swollen battery issue been fixed yet?

I bought my last macbook pro in August 2017 and just now the battery has begun to swell. Apple would repair it for $200 but they found a problem with the logic board, which will cost close to $600 to repair. I said no. I am wondering about quality control over at Apple to be having these kinds of problems. The laptop has sat on my desk for its life. The "genuis" insinuated that I somehow did this, knowing full and well that it's Apple's problem. Anyway, before buying another one, I'd like to know if this problem still exists. Does it? Or do I dare take my chances with the new Macbook Air M1?

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:59 PM

Sja_321 Said:

"Has the macbook pro swollen battery issue been fixed yet?: I understand that, but if you look up Apple swollen battery, you will see that this was more than just a condensation problem or a random problem with a few batteries. [...] I know to get Apple Care for anything Apple. All I want to know is if the problem has been fixed."

-------

Important:

I can't speak for Apple. I'm just an everyday Mac user like yourself, and have no call in anything, nor know what has been found faulty nor what is yet to be fixed. It's just all recommendations on my part. So, keep an eye here: Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

Recalled Devices:

If something is faulty, then expect Apple to offer recalls as time goes on. So, who knows? Maybe there will be a recall in your M1 Mac model - time will tell. Apple learns from what is reported, typically through hearing back from its customers.

Leave Feedback for Apple:

Do Your Part: Inform Apple of this. They will not get back to directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what their customers need are. The more feedback that Apple's developers receive on this, the more likely they will include it in future Macs.

1. Go Here: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 8:59 PM in response to Sja_321

Sja_321 Said:

"Has the macbook pro swollen battery issue been fixed yet?: I understand that, but if you look up Apple swollen battery, you will see that this was more than just a condensation problem or a random problem with a few batteries. [...] I know to get Apple Care for anything Apple. All I want to know is if the problem has been fixed."

-------

Important:

I can't speak for Apple. I'm just an everyday Mac user like yourself, and have no call in anything, nor know what has been found faulty nor what is yet to be fixed. It's just all recommendations on my part. So, keep an eye here: Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

Recalled Devices:

If something is faulty, then expect Apple to offer recalls as time goes on. So, who knows? Maybe there will be a recall in your M1 Mac model - time will tell. Apple learns from what is reported, typically through hearing back from its customers.

Leave Feedback for Apple:

Do Your Part: Inform Apple of this. They will not get back to directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what their customers need are. The more feedback that Apple's developers receive on this, the more likely they will include it in future Macs.

1. Go Here: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

Apr 18, 2021 7:26 PM in response to Sja_321

Sja_321 Said:

"Has the macbook pro swollen battery issue been fixed yet?: [...]The laptop has sat on my desk for its life.[...]Anyway, before buying another one, I'd like to know if this problem still exists. Does it? Or do I dare take my chances with the new Macbook Air M1?

-------

Any Battery Could Fail.

If you get the new MacBook Air M1, I'd consider getting Apple Care with it.

Condensation being the Culprit:

If it's been sitting atop your desk for its life, then condensation may be the culprit. At home, I use a dehumidifier to avoid condensation. And when condensation gathers, devices can become corrupted - and in this case then battery has become corroded, likely due to that.

Apr 18, 2021 8:00 PM in response to Sja_321

I am wondering about quality control over at Apple to be having these kinds of problems

I 'd like to know if this problem still exists. Does it? Or do I dare take my chances with the new Macbook Air M1?

You can have the same problem with any battery in any device. Batteries are considered consumable items and they will all fail - some sooner, others later.

We are not Apple support and we do not work for Apple. We are not privy to Apple’s policies or decisions and are not allowed to speculate, so we do not know if there is a difference in the batteries used in the new M1.

Apr 18, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Sja_321

I understand that, but if you look up Apple swollen battery, you will see that this was more than just a condensation problem or a random problem with a few batteries. This was a BIG issue with the 15” macbook pro built in mid-2015, hundreds, maybe thousands of them. That is quite unusual. For awhile they replaced them free of charge, then they decided to just charge the owners. I know to get Apple Care for anything Apple. All I want to know is if the problem has been fixed.

Apr 18, 2021 9:02 PM in response to Sja_321

Sja_321 wrote:

I understand that, but if you look up Apple swollen battery, you will see that this was more than just a condensation problem or a random problem with a few batteries. This was a BIG issue with the 15” macbook pro built in mid-2015, hundreds, maybe thousands of them. That is quite unusual. For awhile they replaced them free of charge, then they decided to just charge the owners. I know to get Apple Care for anything Apple. All I want to know is if the problem has been fixed.

This is something that you should ask Apple, they are going to be the only ones that can answer it, but I can tell they will most likely tell you that it has been fixed. That being said, if they were replacing them for free as they usually do when they find something that is wrong and they know when it was an issue and which ones give the issue and they take care of it. If they have been taking care of it, they know it was an issue and can pretty well rest assured that they are going to correct an issue that has been found like that to avoid any serious injury to people as battery issues can be quite dangerous.

All that being said, I haven't heard of things like this happening in the more recent models, but that doesn't mean that anything that has been done is going to be a sure fix all. When it comes to electronics, ANYTHING can happen at any time. There is nothing that can be done to prevent everything from happening, it's electronics and it's the nature of things to fail. If things would never fail, then there would be no reason for any sort of repair facilities anywhere because things would never break down. The only thing you can really do is if you get a new computer, make sure that you put Apple Care on it as this will protect from any failures or accidental issues for an extended period of time.

Has the macbook pro swollen battery issue been fixed yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.