Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep my MacBook Air plugged in when not in use?

Should I keep my MacBook Air 2020 plugged in when not in use?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 12:09 PM

The charger in your MacBook is a smart device so it is unlikely to cause any significant problems. Keeping the battery at 100% for extended periods is not ideal and might have a very small impact on long term life, but you have to balance that against using and recharging from a reasonably finite number of charge cycles each of which makes a minor reduction in battery life. There is no evidence to support either scheme, but I have never had a battery fail from being kept well charged. I have had batteries fail because they were allowed to discharge fully and not recharged promptly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 12:09 PM in response to EminKobi

The charger in your MacBook is a smart device so it is unlikely to cause any significant problems. Keeping the battery at 100% for extended periods is not ideal and might have a very small impact on long term life, but you have to balance that against using and recharging from a reasonably finite number of charge cycles each of which makes a minor reduction in battery life. There is no evidence to support either scheme, but I have never had a battery fail from being kept well charged. I have had batteries fail because they were allowed to discharge fully and not recharged promptly.

Should I keep my MacBook Air plugged in when not in use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.