Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing photos with others to include the titles and sorting order

I've spent many hours titling and dating the family photos, which I now want to share with distant family members. I can't find a method to do this. Shared Albums loses the titles; so does transferring to Google photos. I don't want to do Family Sharing with many people I've never met. I even resorted to transferring to a flash drive to mail to them, but they also lose their titles. iCloud Drive did not seem to work either.

Are the titles I apply to photos on my Mac only available to myself, on my Mac? I've contacted Apple Support, who weren't helpful. They suggested sending the photos via flash drive!

Rob

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 11:07 AM

Export to a folder on the desktop.

From there, how you share is kind of up to you. Have you checked out photo sharing sites like Flickr - in the case of Flickr they have excellent access controls so you can define who may see or not see the images. And then you can arrange them into albums and so on and in that way preserve your sorting.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 11:07 AM in response to RLehman1952

Export to a folder on the desktop.

From there, how you share is kind of up to you. Have you checked out photo sharing sites like Flickr - in the case of Flickr they have excellent access controls so you can define who may see or not see the images. And then you can arrange them into albums and so on and in that way preserve your sorting.

Dec 27, 2020 1:21 PM in response to RLehman1952

You can put them in a folder, zip/compress the folder and email the zipped file to those you want to have them. If the size of the zipped file becomes too large for emailing you'll be given the option to use Mail Drop: Mail Drop limits.

That puts the file on an Apple server for 30 days and will include a link to download the compressed file by the recipients.

Dec 27, 2020 10:39 AM in response to RLehman1952

Which system version do you have installed?

On macOS 11 Big Sur the description will be shared, when you share a photo in a shared album, all the filename, but not the title.

On earlier systems you can share some information with the photos in a shared album, if you share each photo individually, not all at once, exactly in the order you want to share the photos, and then add a comment to a photo, when you share it.

The comments will be displayed on the webpage with the shared photos. But you have to add the comments, immediately, when you share the photos. adding comments later may change the sort order of the photos on the webpage of the shared album.

Dec 27, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

Thanks for quick reply! I tried export, and yes, it asks if I want titles included. But where would you export them to, so they'd be accessible to others? I tried email and messages - nope. I thought to export to the flash drive, but couldn't access that from the dropdown menu.

And yes, I figured the sorting can be done by the recipient. Each photo already starts with the year of the photo, so they are already "numbered" for sorting by that person.

Sharing photos with others to include the titles and sorting order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.