Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate Data from 2013 MacBook Pro to new 2020 MacBook Air

Looking for advice on a simple, fast, cheap option to migrate 250 GB data from my 2013 MacBook Pro to set up a new MacBook Air M1 using migration assistant.

The 2013 MacBook Pro has USB3, Ethernet and Thunderbolt2 ports. The New MacBook Air has Thunderbolt 4 ports.

We have 20 Mbps (Up) and 300+ Mbps (Down) WIFI. Have heard reports Ethernet not working with migration assistant on the new Air. Thunderbolt 2 would be 2x faster than USB3. Is USB3 too slow for 250 GB. Was leaning to Thunderbolt but the Thunderbolt 2-3 adapter is $49 + T2 cable would probably only be used once.

Suggestions welcomed.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 11:06 PM

I have done the following multiple times and it has worked every time:

Make a Time Machine (or "clone") type backup of your old Mac using a USB 3 connected external drive.

Obtain a USB 3 (also sometimes called USB-A) to USB-C adaptor, preferably the Apple branded one.

Use the adaptor to connect your backup to the new Mac to use Migration Assistant.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 11:06 PM in response to Alan Musgrave

I have done the following multiple times and it has worked every time:

Make a Time Machine (or "clone") type backup of your old Mac using a USB 3 connected external drive.

Obtain a USB 3 (also sometimes called USB-A) to USB-C adaptor, preferably the Apple branded one.

Use the adaptor to connect your backup to the new Mac to use Migration Assistant.

Migrate Data from 2013 MacBook Pro to new 2020 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.