You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Swollen

Hi,

Has anyone been stuck with a swollen battery cant get replaced? I have 2 macbooks 2 years or less old that have swollen batteries and now a 3rd has just started. None of the serial numbers show eligible for replacement programs :(

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 4:36 AM

Hi,

you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation if your neighborhood retail Apple Store is open or find near opened Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace battery as soon as possible.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2020 4:36 AM in response to Syph

Hi,

you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation if your neighborhood retail Apple Store is open or find near opened Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace battery as soon as possible.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Dec 28, 2020 5:04 AM in response to kaz-k

Thanks kaz-k, I contacted support already on the first one that was out of 12 month warranty for only 3 months and gave me a repair centre who gave a quote to fix over $500 which was pretty upsetting considering how old they are.. but now the others are showing same signs I don't now what to do as I dont want to have to pay $500 every 12 months if this keeps happening to all the laptops we have :(

Im mainly posting here to see if this is a regular occurrence for others or if I'm just really unlucky. I might have to just run these until they break unfortunately and then swap to something else.

Dec 28, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Syph

Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop. You may be surprised to find out you may qualify for a secret free battery repair program for swollen batteries if the laptop is less than three years old. We had several of our organization's swollen batteries replaced for free.

Edit: Some service techs forget about some of the secret free repair programs since Apple so many programs and has the details separated from the main public repair programs so you should ask them to check for a "Service Program" for "Enclosure separation" (assuming the laptop qualifies and the shop isn't cheating you - one of the dangers of secret programs).

Battery Swollen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.