Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVR connected to an apple tv 4k?

Can you select recorded shows on a DVR connected to an apple tv 4k?

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 8:20 AM

There is no way to directly connect an external DVR to an Apple TV.

Apple TV has input from the network, and output through HDMI for a screen.

You will have to select a different HDMI port and use a different remote for playback.

Some DVR content may be “locked in”, and not transferable. Other content could perhaps be copied, optionally converted, and shared over the home network to Apple TV, but that is quite a hassle, if possible at all. When used for time shifting only, probably not worth it.

Some streaming TV providers offer ‘Cloud DVR’, where selected live programs can be accessed online after they aired. That could work with Apple TV, if the TV provider’s app and your subscription include the options for it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 8:20 AM in response to JFB56

There is no way to directly connect an external DVR to an Apple TV.

Apple TV has input from the network, and output through HDMI for a screen.

You will have to select a different HDMI port and use a different remote for playback.

Some DVR content may be “locked in”, and not transferable. Other content could perhaps be copied, optionally converted, and shared over the home network to Apple TV, but that is quite a hassle, if possible at all. When used for time shifting only, probably not worth it.

Some streaming TV providers offer ‘Cloud DVR’, where selected live programs can be accessed online after they aired. That could work with Apple TV, if the TV provider’s app and your subscription include the options for it.

Dec 28, 2020 8:44 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I wanted to keep what I do with the DVR and use the Apple TV to stream. I appears to be to much at this time. My provide doesn't offer Cloud DVR here. I'm told they plan to soon. I've been told that for 3 years now. Guess I will not get an Apple TV now. Too bad as I hear they are great streamers. I'm adding a Harmony Elite Remote and that will be complex enough for me.

Thank you for your time and effort to get me the info BEFORE I ordered the Apple TV. Sincerely, JB

DVR connected to an apple tv 4k?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.