Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Audio and Video buttons in the Facetime app are grayed out.

The Audio and Video buttons in the Facetime app are grayed out. I am signed in to the app but still cannot make a call. How to I activate the Video and Audio buttons?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 6:04 AM

Hi snailspace1,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand the audio and video options in FaceTime are grayed out on your MacBook Pro. Let's see how we can help.

When was the last time you were able to make calls on your Mac using FaceTime? Do you recall any changes to your Mac or Apple ID account since the issue began?

Can you receive calls without issue, or does that fail as well?

Are you receiving a specific alert when you open or attempt to make FaceTime calls?

Is this an issue when attempting to call any contact, or just certain ones?

Check out this article to see if it can help get the issue resolved: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac. We'd also recommend making sure you've selected your microphone and camera for FaceTime: Choose a camera or microphone for FaceTime calls on Mac

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 6:04 AM in response to snailspace1

Hi snailspace1,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand the audio and video options in FaceTime are grayed out on your MacBook Pro. Let's see how we can help.

When was the last time you were able to make calls on your Mac using FaceTime? Do you recall any changes to your Mac or Apple ID account since the issue began?

Can you receive calls without issue, or does that fail as well?

Are you receiving a specific alert when you open or attempt to make FaceTime calls?

Is this an issue when attempting to call any contact, or just certain ones?

Check out this article to see if it can help get the issue resolved: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac. We'd also recommend making sure you've selected your microphone and camera for FaceTime: Choose a camera or microphone for FaceTime calls on Mac

Best regards.

Jan 1, 2021 5:53 AM in response to Sharon_419

Thank you Sharon_419. I just checked and find that Facetime does work for other contacts on my list. I find it's just one one person's phone number that I have a problem with. All others work just fine. Will utilize the link you have given me and figure out what's up with that one number, but I am happy to realize that I can make this app work with other contacts' numbers.

Jan 4, 2021 10:53 AM in response to snailspace1

snailspace1,

We're glad to hear you were able to isolate the issue to just one particular contact, and that you are able to call other contacts using FaceTime.

Definitely utilize the resources we shared, to see if it can get the issue with that one contact resolved. If the issue remains, check in with that contact to make sure they are signed in to FaceTime successfully and able to make and receive calls. It may end up being an issue on their end, and they should contact Apple if that's the case.

Thanks using the Apple Support Communities! Take care.

The Audio and Video buttons in the Facetime app are grayed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.