Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes (12.8.3) doesn't see iPhone 6s when connected to MacBook Pro running High Sierra

I had been using iTunes to backup my iPhone but for several months at least my iPhone doesn't connect to iTunes on my MacBook Pro (15" mid-2015) running High Sierra. iPhone is a 6S running iOS 14.2. When I check System Information, there is an iPhone listed in the USB device tree, but I can't tell if it's my current phone (or someone else's that was connected at some point).

I don't want to upgrade my OS because there is software on my MacBook that I need that isn't supported by later OS versions.

I found an earlier Apple Communities thread about this topic and very similar hardware/software here but the only answer to the OP's question was to un-install and then re-install iTunes. I'm hoping there is a solution that is more simple.

To summarize:

iPhone 6S (OS 14.2) isn't seen by iTunes 12.8.3 on a mid-2015 MacBook pro Retina running macOS High Sierra (10.13.16)

Thanks for any help.Ernst

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 10:24 AM

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 10:24 AM in response to ccciccone

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Dec 30, 2020 1:48 PM in response to turingtest2

Well, I spoke too soon. Following the above instructions got iTunes to see my iPhone, but now the iPhone doesn't show up in Finder when connected, even when it shows up in iTunes.

A possible clue: after connecting, iTunes told me that there was an update for iPhone and asked if I'd like to download and install. I agreed, and after five minutes, I got an error code (4000) that said that the iPhone couldn't be updated. I then updated the iPhone from OS 14.2 to 14.3 the standard way i.e. over my wifi network.

An iPhone shows up in the USB tree in System Information but I can't determine if it is my iPhone or a different one that was connected earlier.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

Dec 30, 2020 4:22 PM in response to turingtest2

You are correct. What happens in High Sierra is that when iTunes recognizes the iPhone or other device, it loads an icon of that device in the top menu bar of iTunes, directly to the right of the "Music/Movies/TV Shows/Audiobooks/Podcasts dropdown menu. When you click the iPhone icon, it opens a window with sync settings.

Thanks again for your help!

CC

iTunes (12.8.3) doesn't see iPhone 6s when connected to MacBook Pro running High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.