Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not showing up in iTunes in High Sierra

Updated to High Sierra, now iTunes doesn't see iPhone when connected via USB.

Previously backed up to iTunes before update.

Tried different cables, different USB port.

iPhone does show up under USB in System Info.

No third party software installed.

Any ideas on how to fix?

MacBook Pro 15in, mid 2012

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iTunes 12.8.0.150

iPhone 6+

iOS 12.0

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 10:38 AM

I had the exact same problem with MacBook pro 13" and my iPhone 6 would not show up in iTunes after High Sierra update. Some things I noticed that may help Apple fix this in the os. I purchased a new iPad, when I connected it I got the prompts to trust etc which I did and then it also did not show up. But the MacBook can see the devices just fine - When you go into About > System Report > check the usb devices my iPhone and iPad are both there. I briefly upgraded to Mojave and iPad & iPhone both show up in iTunes, but I had to roll back to high sierra as my coding editor will not run in Mojave. Last night I finally fixed the issue in High Sierra by deleting iTunes and letting the OS reinstall it. I could not reinstall iTunes thru the app store.

Steps taken - of course make sure your fully backed up with time machine before doing this, then double check that your backed up!

opened up a terminal window

cd /applications

sudo rm -r iTunes.app

you may not need to sudo, but I did just to make sure

Now iTunes is gone. I went to the app store, checked for updates and got nothing. I then plugged my iPhone into my MacBook and the MacBook popped up a small window saying something like "we need to install some software to make your iOS compatible" (I cannot remember what exactly it said). I clicked the install and it went ahead and did the install - it doesn't say what its installing and it took a while, but at the least it did reinstall iTunes.

After this I went back into iTunes and my iPhone shows up just fine. I connected my new iPad and it also shows up just fine. Case closed for me. I hope this helps others.

cheers

ricki

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 10:38 AM in response to techdog

I had the exact same problem with MacBook pro 13" and my iPhone 6 would not show up in iTunes after High Sierra update. Some things I noticed that may help Apple fix this in the os. I purchased a new iPad, when I connected it I got the prompts to trust etc which I did and then it also did not show up. But the MacBook can see the devices just fine - When you go into About > System Report > check the usb devices my iPhone and iPad are both there. I briefly upgraded to Mojave and iPad & iPhone both show up in iTunes, but I had to roll back to high sierra as my coding editor will not run in Mojave. Last night I finally fixed the issue in High Sierra by deleting iTunes and letting the OS reinstall it. I could not reinstall iTunes thru the app store.

Steps taken - of course make sure your fully backed up with time machine before doing this, then double check that your backed up!

opened up a terminal window

cd /applications

sudo rm -r iTunes.app

you may not need to sudo, but I did just to make sure

Now iTunes is gone. I went to the app store, checked for updates and got nothing. I then plugged my iPhone into my MacBook and the MacBook popped up a small window saying something like "we need to install some software to make your iOS compatible" (I cannot remember what exactly it said). I clicked the install and it went ahead and did the install - it doesn't say what its installing and it took a while, but at the least it did reinstall iTunes.

After this I went back into iTunes and my iPhone shows up just fine. I connected my new iPad and it also shows up just fine. Case closed for me. I hope this helps others.

cheers

ricki

iPhone not showing up in iTunes in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.