Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer my iPhoto pictures (and Photos) to new iMac?

We just bought a new mac. Can I transfer my iPhoto pictures (and Photos) to it? Will they both work?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 10:23 AM

Copy/transfer your iPhoto library to your new Mac, launch the Photos app with the Option key held down and open your iPhoto library. It will be migrated to the new format in a separate library.

If you're still running iPhoto on your old Mac I'd launch the library with the Option and Command keys held down and run the following two "repairs" on the library before migrating to Photos:

1 - Repair Permissions

2 - Rebuild Thumbnails

That will help assure that you have a smooth and full migration from iPhoto to Photos.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 10:23 AM in response to kjboatright

Copy/transfer your iPhoto library to your new Mac, launch the Photos app with the Option key held down and open your iPhoto library. It will be migrated to the new format in a separate library.

If you're still running iPhoto on your old Mac I'd launch the library with the Option and Command keys held down and run the following two "repairs" on the library before migrating to Photos:

1 - Repair Permissions

2 - Rebuild Thumbnails

That will help assure that you have a smooth and full migration from iPhoto to Photos.

Can I transfer my iPhoto pictures (and Photos) to new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.