Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring content from a backup

I recently discovered several important text threads from iMessage have been deleted from my phone. I’ve read the “best” way to get these back is to reset my phone. My phone backs up to iCloud nightly and I have iCloud storage on for my photos as well.

I have an irrational fear that if I reset my phone I won’t be able to get any of my content back. Also, I’m not 100% sure how or when these messages were deleted, so I may need to do multiple restorations to find them.

Questions: if I reset my phone and then restore it from a backup, will I still have all of the content that was on my phone at the time that backup?

Am I able to choose the date I restore my phone to? I have an idea of the date it got deleted but I’m not sure. If I choose the wrong date, can I go through the process and choose a different date?

Thanks in advance for the help! 😜

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 7:26 PM

As far as backups go, your iPhone will only save the latest backup you have, so if your iPhone has created a backup since the data was deleted, then it won't show up on your backup. But, you are correct that if you restore your iPhone to a backup made on a particular date, then the iPhone will be restored to that date/time and will contain your data from that date/time and anything done since that date is gone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 7:26 PM in response to ltingler

As far as backups go, your iPhone will only save the latest backup you have, so if your iPhone has created a backup since the data was deleted, then it won't show up on your backup. But, you are correct that if you restore your iPhone to a backup made on a particular date, then the iPhone will be restored to that date/time and will contain your data from that date/time and anything done since that date is gone.

Restoring content from a backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.