Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur download issue

Big Sur will not download onto my 2015 Macbook Air 2015 from the App Store

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:15 AM

Yes, the MBA 2015 is compatible with Big Sur. It can be downloaded from the Apple Apps Store. Here is the link to Apple Support page regarding the requirements. Special attention to Empty Space Requirements especially upgrading from Sierra and the Empty Space Requirements. Do attempt the download via Ethernet connection - more reliable speeds plus Big Sur is Huge 12.18 GB in size.

That is correct - the App Store will not show updates as this is an upGrade. Big difference between update and upGrade.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 3:15 AM in response to C_Dubya78

Yes, the MBA 2015 is compatible with Big Sur. It can be downloaded from the Apple Apps Store. Here is the link to Apple Support page regarding the requirements. Special attention to Empty Space Requirements especially upgrading from Sierra and the Empty Space Requirements. Do attempt the download via Ethernet connection - more reliable speeds plus Big Sur is Huge 12.18 GB in size.

That is correct - the App Store will not show updates as this is an upGrade. Big difference between update and upGrade.

Dec 28, 2020 11:35 PM in response to C_Dubya78

It should not download an app to install macOS Big Sur, it should open system preferences and look for an update.

This article from apple itself may help you - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211242

And lastly, are you sure your MacBook Air is 2015 version ? I just found out my grandparent's iMac was 2012 version even though they bought it in 2015 in an apple store... If that is not the case it should work, according to apple, your machine is elegible.

Big Sur download issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.