Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is my imac supposed to back itself up by time machine or only on external drive

Is my imac supposed to back itself up by time machine or only on external drive

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 9:55 AM

As John explained, in order for Time Machine to work, it requires an external HD. Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine where Apple explains this. Most experienced users on these forums recommend the follow External Hard Disk due to their high quality, ease of use, price and the service the manufacturer provides. It is recommended that you buy an External Hard Disk that has 2-3 times the capacity of the amount of data you have.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro

They are a US based company and shipping is generally free in the USA, if you are outside the USA you will find the following link helpful so you don't have to pay too much for shipping. OWC European Reseller

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 9:55 AM in response to jlayk

As John explained, in order for Time Machine to work, it requires an external HD. Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine where Apple explains this. Most experienced users on these forums recommend the follow External Hard Disk due to their high quality, ease of use, price and the service the manufacturer provides. It is recommended that you buy an External Hard Disk that has 2-3 times the capacity of the amount of data you have.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro

They are a US based company and shipping is generally free in the USA, if you are outside the USA you will find the following link helpful so you don't have to pay too much for shipping. OWC European Reseller

Dec 29, 2020 10:04 AM in response to John Galt

This is great, it seemed like my old mac backed itself up (oxymoron?) before I got the external drive, maybe I don't recall that correctly...a long time ago. So my backups to the external drive are not automatic on the new iMac and it prompts me to back up to it even though automatic backups is selected...any thoughts on that? kind thanks! J

is my imac supposed to back itself up by time machine or only on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.