Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iMazing a safe and trustworthy program?

I wanted to try and extract the ipa of an app installed on my iPhone because that app is no longer available on the AppStore.

I installed iMazing (downloaded from official site https://imazing.com/) and launched it. However, the app downloaded additional files or resources after first run. I don't know why all those were not already included in the .exe file for Windows. I disabled my WiFi on my laptop and then connected my iPhone.

After trying to extract the ipa (which failed because that is not possible since iOS 9.x), I looked at my iPhone. Surprisingly, the mobile hotspot on my iPhone was turned on and 1 device was connected too. iPhone doesn't say which device is connected. I turned off the hotspot and disconnected my iPhone from my laptop.

The question is how did this hotspot turn on automatically and how did my laptop connect to it by itself? Did iMazing use USB Tethering and connect to the internet using the mobile hotspot since WiFi on my laptop was disabled?

I am not comfortable with what happened. Do I need to factory reset my iPhone and Apple account password?

Thanks.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 9:33 AM

If the only connection was the hotspot and your laptop has ever connected to it then the laptop can use the hotspot automatically. You could have looked in the laptop status bar or Wi-Fi settings to see if it showed a hotspot connection. In general, if a computer cannot find a Wi-Fi connection it will try all of the connections that it has used in the past until it finds one that works. This has nothing to do with imazing, which is a trustworthy (and very useful) program.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

If the only connection was the hotspot and your laptop has ever connected to it then the laptop can use the hotspot automatically. You could have looked in the laptop status bar or Wi-Fi settings to see if it showed a hotspot connection. In general, if a computer cannot find a Wi-Fi connection it will try all of the connections that it has used in the past until it finds one that works. This has nothing to do with imazing, which is a trustworthy (and very useful) program.

Dec 29, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the reply.

The WiFi on my laptop was disabled (I disabled it myself before connecting my iPhone). So the question of laptop scanning for WiFi networks doesn't arise.

And I did NOT enable the hotspot on my iPhone.

I am away from my laptop now. So I will check tomorrow to see if I ever connected it to my iPhone hotspot. If it can't connect tomorrow, it means the laptop doesn't have the hotspot password. What that would also mean is that I never connected my laptop to my iPhone hotspot.

I will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks.

Is iMazing a safe and trustworthy program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.