Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[AirPods Max] Transparency/Noise Cancelling Button not working. Auto switches constantly.

Hi!

I have been using the AirPods Max for about a month now. Been quite satisfied with them, ease of use, sound quality and superb build quality feel.

However, as of today, the noise mode button seems to do nothing... I can only change it via the control center (tap-hold the sound volume bar) or the Bluetooth inside the Settings app.

What’s worse is that sometimes it auto-switches from noise cancelling to transparency mode, stays there then auto-switches back to noise cancelling. Sometimes it also starts switching back and forth constantly at about 5 second intervals. The button is definitely not stuck, it does click.

I have both managed to soft reset them only seeing the amber light and a hard reset when it displays a white light indicator (it required reconnect-pairing them). That didn’t fix it.

Is anybody having a similar issue? It’s actually quite annoying that it auto-decides to switch the noise cancelling modes. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 8:17 PM

amartinez1660,

We appreciate you keeping us posted. If you are experiencing the same issue when using your AirPods Max with a different device, we recommend that you reach out to us here: Get Support

Take care!

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 31, 2020 4:50 PM in response to amartinez1660

Hi amartinez1660,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your AirPods Pro. Rest assured that we’ll do our best to assist you or get you pointed in the right direction.

We understand that you are experiencing issues with the noise control button on your AirPods Max. 

Have you had the chance to reset your AirPods Max?

How to reset your AirPods Max

If yes, we recommend that you reach out to us here so we can take a closer look into your question: Get Support

Cheers!

Dec 31, 2020 6:19 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi! Thanks a lot for getting back.

Yes, I have tried both rebooting (tap-hold crown and ANC button until amber light blink) and hard resetting (tap-hold same buttons until white blinking light). That sadly didn’t work.

Indeed I think I’ll just wait until the stores open back here in about two weeks and visit an Apple Store for a proper checkup... hopefully it is something minor and/or completely isolated, these headphones are amazing and would be annoying to be hit with a similar thing a few months down the line again.

Cheers

Jan 6, 2021 7:45 PM in response to sterling r

Hello, wanted to chime in to give a bit of an update since both replies suggested getting apple support.

The issue did happen with any devices I tried on (iPhone, iPad, iMac, AppleTV, etc). They sadly just continued degrading until it wouldn’t connect anymore nor output any sound.

Apple support was straightforward in helping out and a replacement unit is on the way... there was no way around that, it was just faulty.

Don’t let this be a deterrent though, these headphones are amazing and can’t wait to receive the replacement unit.

[AirPods Max] Transparency/Noise Cancelling Button not working. Auto switches constantly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.