You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 M1 - Connecting two Displays

Hi, 

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro 13" 2020 M1.

Knowing that there are only 2 USB-C Ports to use, I bought the Brydge Stone Pro Thunderbolt 3 Hub.

I tried to connect two Displays to my MacBook using the Hub with no Success so far.

The hub is connected using one of the USB-C Ports, offering various Ports, including one Displayport and one USB-C Port marked for Display usage.

I tried the following combinations:

Hub Displayport - Displayport Display 1

Hub USB-C - HDMI Display 2

Hub Displayport - Displayport Display 1

MacBook USB-C - HDMI Display 2

Connecting only one of the Displays is working fine.

(So the Displays and the Cables connecting to it are working just fine)

When connecting a second Display either way, only one Display is showing up and the other one will go dark.

I can't tell if this is an issue with the Hub or with the new MacBook Pro.

Happy for any informations on how to connect two displays in general or using a hub.

Best,

Nico

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:36 AM

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP824?locale=en_US

Scroll down to the Video Support section.

"Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 30, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Nixosch

There are some reports of Brydge Stone hubs needing a software update to work properly with Big Sur. --

Be sure to check with the manufacturer.

But there is only ONE available hardware rasterizer/display-generator in the Apple silicon M1 Macs. You can not create a second hardware-accelerated display.

(You could create a "fake"display with DisplayLink hardware and software technology, but it is not for full-motion Video.)

Dec 30, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thx for the Answer.

I already contacted the Brydge Support, currently waiting for a response.

Reading your answer, I start to doubt that it will be possible to connect to Displays at all, even if I watched a couple of YT Videos where people seem to have achieved it. Maybe I start looking into an Ultrawide Display Setup or maybe I will need to get another MacBook ... if there is one solving the issues the new M1 has for me right now

All in all I was really hyped for the new M1, but start to doubt that it's the right choice since a lot of Software does not run properly on it, making it hard to switch from my old MacBook.

Dec 30, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Nixosch

Nixosch wrote:

All in all I was really hyped for the new M1, but start to doubt that it's the right choice since a lot of Software does not run properly on it, making it hard to switch from my old MacBook.

You have a limited 14-days for a full refund or exchange for a machine that suits you better.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 M1 - Connecting two Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.