Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase isn’t an option in disk utility

I cannot erase my MacBook Air after following all of the steps on Apple support

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 9:55 AM

JaysonG12 Said:

"Erase isn’t an option in disk utility: I cannot erase my MacBook Air after following all of the steps on Apple support"

-------

Can you Still Log In?

If so, backup your Mac, and then reinstall the MacOS. There seems to be an issue in the macOS.

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Can you get into your Mac? If so, backup first. Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

3. Once reinstalled, perform the erase

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 9:55 AM in response to JaysonG12

JaysonG12 Said:

"Erase isn’t an option in disk utility: I cannot erase my MacBook Air after following all of the steps on Apple support"

-------

Can you Still Log In?

If so, backup your Mac, and then reinstall the MacOS. There seems to be an issue in the macOS.

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Can you get into your Mac? If so, backup first. Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the transfer.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

3. Once reinstalled, perform the erase

Dec 30, 2020 9:40 AM in response to JaysonG12

Backup your data before doing any erasing.

You can't erase the current booted system. You can partition a drive and erase that partition, but only do so if the resulting partition won't be over 85% full.

If you have need to completely wipe your computer because the operating system is totally corrupted, and your Mac is newer than July 20, 2011, boot with the command-R startup and view all partitions with Disk Utility's View menu. Erase ONLY the Data partition unless you have a reliable internet connection with a secure WiFi or ethernet connection.

If your machine is older, get the USB thumb drive that shipped with your computer to do the erase.

No thumb drive, you may want to at least get a USB Thumb drive with 10.7 or later installed from another Mac. Note the age of your computer determines what system you can put on that thumb drive. See my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/docs/DOC-13695/

*Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Erase isn’t an option in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.