Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if I am not able to click erase?

I am trying to clear my Mac to give to someone else. How do I proceed if I can't actually choose "erase" in the Disk Utility box? It is grayed out and won't let me click on it.

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 9:40 AM

If you try to use Recovery HD, that precludes erasing, because you are asking it to erase itself while it is running.

Try booting to Internet Recovery (whose code is in ROM, then loads the rest off the Internet). try Command-Option-R

OR boot from recovery from another drive, such as a Time machine backup, and use its Utilities.

OR use a USB-stick installer (any version) but do not install, just use its Utilities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 9:40 AM in response to SWN322

If you try to use Recovery HD, that precludes erasing, because you are asking it to erase itself while it is running.

Try booting to Internet Recovery (whose code is in ROM, then loads the rest off the Internet). try Command-Option-R

OR boot from recovery from another drive, such as a Time machine backup, and use its Utilities.

OR use a USB-stick installer (any version) but do not install, just use its Utilities.

What if I am not able to click erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.