Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my iMac have a PCIe slot?

Hi, my iMac 2017 21.5 inch 2.30 GHz base model was purchased without Fusion Drive and has only 1TB HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade to NVMe SSD?

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 11:46 AM

That may not be possible for several reasons. This firm is a popular source for Mac upgrades:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-21.5-inch/2013-2019

but has this caution:

NOTE: Aura Pro X2 SSDs can only be installed in 21.5-inch iMac models that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive.

So that won't work. Maybe another company has ones that works. However, I read that as Apple either did not install or did not activate the SSD socket on 21.5-inch iMacs. You can call OWC and ask them to clarify. They have great pre-sales support.

⚠️ However, and this goes for any internal work on 2012 and later iMacs, they were never intended to be opened by the end user. Breaking the seal on the case is a delicate operation that, done badly, can destroy the computer. There was a post here within the last two weeks where that happened.

You will need professional help; Apple won't touch it, and there are some Apple Authorized Service Providers who won't either. Expect US$150-200 in labor on top of the cost of hardware if you find an Apple Authorized Service Provider willing to attempt it.

What makes sense from both a cost and serviceability viewpoint is an external 6GB/sec SSD in a USB 3 or USB-C enclosure set up as the boot volume. That will give more capacity and, when you boot from it, your data transfers will be about 8X faster than you now see.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 11:46 AM in response to ygbcsvbcvv

That may not be possible for several reasons. This firm is a popular source for Mac upgrades:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-21.5-inch/2013-2019

but has this caution:

NOTE: Aura Pro X2 SSDs can only be installed in 21.5-inch iMac models that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive.

So that won't work. Maybe another company has ones that works. However, I read that as Apple either did not install or did not activate the SSD socket on 21.5-inch iMacs. You can call OWC and ask them to clarify. They have great pre-sales support.

⚠️ However, and this goes for any internal work on 2012 and later iMacs, they were never intended to be opened by the end user. Breaking the seal on the case is a delicate operation that, done badly, can destroy the computer. There was a post here within the last two weeks where that happened.

You will need professional help; Apple won't touch it, and there are some Apple Authorized Service Providers who won't either. Expect US$150-200 in labor on top of the cost of hardware if you find an Apple Authorized Service Provider willing to attempt it.

What makes sense from both a cost and serviceability viewpoint is an external 6GB/sec SSD in a USB 3 or USB-C enclosure set up as the boot volume. That will give more capacity and, when you boot from it, your data transfers will be about 8X faster than you now see.

Does my iMac have a PCIe slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.