Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant, new Mac, post-migration syncing

I'm adding a Mac mini to my home network. Want them to sync as much as possible. I think iCloud will take care of most synchronization issues, but I have a few questions about what I need to do, or be aware of moving forward.

• Can I continue to use the old Mac (2016 PowerBook Pro) without doing anything else?
  • Are the old Mac's device linkages as they were or were they passed on to the new Mac?
  • iCloud will do a lot, but what won't it do and how do I synchronize those things that aren't taken care of by iCloud?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 7:35 PM

Hello Frank,

We understand that you have some questions related to iCloud syncing. The full details on what it does sync can be found here: iCloud - Apple

You can continue to use your devices as normal. Information that is not synchronized through iCloud can still be transferred through other means, like external drives, emailing to yourself, and AirDrop.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 7:35 PM in response to Frank Demmler

Hello Frank,

We understand that you have some questions related to iCloud syncing. The full details on what it does sync can be found here: iCloud - Apple

You can continue to use your devices as normal. Information that is not synchronized through iCloud can still be transferred through other means, like external drives, emailing to yourself, and AirDrop.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

Migration assistant, new Mac, post-migration syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.