Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear calls or music streams through my iPhone 6s speaker

I suddenly cannot hear what a caller is saying to me through the speaker of my iPhone. Similarly I cannot hear must streams I normally listen to, and Siri is also muted.

However when someone calls the phone rings as normal, and I can hear other ring tones if I play around with them in Settings.

Finally if I plug in some headphones, I can hear what a caller is saying, and also listen to streaming music.

I've gone through the various steps listed on If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker, and followed the trouble shooting advice on similar threads.

Any idea what the problem could be? Am I missing something obvious?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 6:17 AM

Hello dannygolding,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that the speaker on your iPhone 6s are not working as expected, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone? Settings > General > About.

To get started, make sure your iPhone is up-to-date on software. When you navigate to: Settings > General > Software Update do you see any available updates? If so, please back up your iPhone, then update as explained in the following links:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your iPhone is already up-to-date on software, let's restore the device to factory settings (without the backup you will lose data. So verify that you have a newly set up backup) 

Set it up as new and test before restoring to see if the issue continues there, here's how to restore: 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

If the issue persists afterwards, please contact Apple for further assistance.

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 6:17 AM in response to dannygolding

Hello dannygolding,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that the speaker on your iPhone 6s are not working as expected, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone? Settings > General > About.

To get started, make sure your iPhone is up-to-date on software. When you navigate to: Settings > General > Software Update do you see any available updates? If so, please back up your iPhone, then update as explained in the following links:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your iPhone is already up-to-date on software, let's restore the device to factory settings (without the backup you will lose data. So verify that you have a newly set up backup) 

Set it up as new and test before restoring to see if the issue continues there, here's how to restore: 

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

If the issue persists afterwards, please contact Apple for further assistance.

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Jan 2, 2021 9:26 AM in response to mingoslkd

Thanks for the helpful response.

In answer to your questions I am on iOS 14.2. I was considering restoring the phone to the factory settings before I got your response but didn't want to take this 'drastic' step without good reasons.

Anyway, before I got round to doing a restore the phone suddenly started working normally again.

If it happens again I'll try and restore and see if that helps.

Can't hear calls or music streams through my iPhone 6s speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.